Click to download your Sustainable Living Shopping List
You’re already buying these items… why not choose more sustainable options!
- Biodegradable garbage bags
- Reusable shopping bags
- Reusable produce bags
- Reusable zip lunch/snack bags
- Reusable food containers
- Reusable coffee cups & water bottles
- Biodegradable dental floss
- Silicon Q-Tips
- Eco-friendly packaged soap
- Eco-friendly packaged shampoo & conditioner
- Biodegradable plastic-free hair ties
- Reusable electric lighters
What happens if you don’t choose sustainable options to these items? Well, plastics don’t biodegrade the same way as organic materials. Plastics break down into smaller pieces through photodegradation, which requires sunlight. Although it may break down into smaller pieces, microplastic can still be harmful to ecosystems.
About how long do these items take to degrade?
- Plastic bags 10-20 years
- Coffee cups 30 years
- Water bottles 450 years
- Plastic packaged soap 450 years
- Plastic packaged shampoo & conditioner 450 years